Maharashtra’s Ladki Bahin Yojana: Ready for ₹1,500


Radhika Kamble, 49, sees with anger each time somebody mentions the Ladki Bahin Yojana, Maharashtra’s welfare initiative focused at girls. She feels betrayed, as a result of two years after the scheme’s announcement, she has not but been capable of turn out to be a beneficiary. For a widow caring for the family, the method was too overwhelming and there was no assist, she says.

However that was not what left her feeling weak. Inside months of her husband dying, she was requested to take {a photograph} bereft of the mangalsutra, a logo of marriage.

“They instructed me that the officers ought to be capable of simply determine girls who actually need the cash. Married girls do not want it as a lot. We’d like it probably the most. The federal government will perceive after our photographs, we had been instructed,” she says. She chokes on her feelings. Sitting in a small, unventilated room in Sangamnagar, Mumbai, she goes by the paperwork and her picture many times. Annoyed, she says, “Perhaps cash shouldn’t be written into my destiny.”

Glitches and complications

The Maharashtra authorities launched the Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin Yojana on June 28, 2024, beneath the management of then Chief Minister Eknath Shinde, “to advertise girls’s financial independence, enhance their well being and diet, and strengthen their decisive function within the household,” as per the coverage doc.

The federal government stated the scheme would offer ₹1,500 through a Direct Profit Switch to girls in Maharashtra between ages 21 and 65 years, from low-income households. The household’s annual earnings was to be under ₹2.5 lakh.

Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin Yojana — translated because the Chief Minister’s ‘My Favourite Sister’ scheme — was modeled on the same scheme in Madhya Pradesh, and was anticipated to value the federal government ₹46,000 crore yearly.

The federal government launched phrases and situations for the scheme. Ladies who had a member of the family with authorities employment, or belonging to households that paid taxes, or belonged to households that owned a automotive didn’t qualify. There was a cap of two girls per family who might get the money profit. Those that had been getting comparable quantities of cash from different authorities schemes had been additionally not eligible.

In July, the primary month after the scheme was launched, the federal government acquired 1.5 crore purposes from throughout Maharashtra, says Amol Shinde, who was the top of the CM Welfare Cell when the scheme was launched within the earlier Eknath Shinde authorities. The primary funds to the 1.5 crore girls began in August 2024, two days forward of Raksha Bandhan, and some months forward of the Meeting elections. Ladies thronged banks to get their Know-Your-Buyer (KYC) established, so they might avail themselves of the cash. Within the second month, September, about 2.6 crore girls had been registered. The scrutiny of the purposes than began going down and solely 2.4 crore acquired the profit, says Shinde. The federal government subsequently launched one other situation requiring girls to finish e-KYC verification, after which the variety of beneficiaries started to say no. In December 2025, the variety of beneficiaries was 1.57 crore.

Women tie rakhis to then Mahrashtra CM Eknath Shinde after the launch of the “Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin” scheme, at Vidhan Bhavan in Mumbai on June 29, 2024.

Ladies tie rakhis to then Mahrashtra CM Eknath Shinde after the launch of the “Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin” scheme, at Vidhan Bhavan in Mumbai on June 29, 2024. | Picture Credit score: ANI

Many ladies say the funds got here for a number of months, after which merely stopped, regardless of all documentation being full. Some beneficiaries are nonetheless struggling to hyperlink their Aadhaar numbers to their financial institution accounts by a web-based system that usually requires exterior help to finish the required types.

The Opposition in Maharashtra has skilled its weapons on the federal government for slashing the variety of beneficiaries, and for the monetary pressure the scheme has placed on the State exchequer. It has accused the federal government of diverting funds from different welfare schemes to proceed giving advantages beneath Majhi Ladki Bahin.

In June 2025, Nationalist Congress Occasion (SP) MP Supriya Sule instructed reporters that the scheme was a ₹4,800 crore fraud, with 14,000 males benefiting from it. She known as for a white paper and a Particular Investigation Report (SIT) on the scheme, saying many deserving girls had been disregarded.

In 2025, flawed e-KYC questions wrongly flagged 24 lakh beneficiaries as authorities staff, halting their installments, in keeping with the Ladies and Baby Growth Division. Technical points and glitches with the portal have plagued the efficient rollout of the scheme up to now, with girls complaining of OTP failures, Aadhaar-bank linkage errors, and information mismatches.

In July 2025, a verification drive led to the suspension of 26.34 lakh accounts as a consequence of irregularities, together with a number of claims inside the similar household, males receiving funds, and beneficiaries availing themselves of twin scheme advantages. Re-verification was subsequently performed by district collectors. In January 2026, the e-KYC deadline was prolonged as a ‘final likelihood’ to rectify errors/OTP points, till March 31, 2026.

girls communicate out

In Mumbai’s Sangamnagar, Radhika, a mom of two, each of their 20s, misplaced her husband. A clerk, he fell and broke his hip. “We didn’t have the cash to get him operated on,” she says. He ultimately died.

The interval after his demise is a fog for her. When the scheme was introduced, an area politician introduced tempos with native occasion staff, who went door-to-door distributing types for the scheme. Many ladies stated they queued up at these tempos to submit the types together with their paperwork.

Radhika was considered one of them. When she didn’t get any installment as different girls began getting theirs of their account, she went to her financial institution to inquire. They requested her to test on-line. The operator of the cybercafe round her home requested her to go to her financial institution, saying some KYC documentation was pending. She went repeatedly between the financial institution and the cybercafe. Every time she needed to journey to the nationalized financial institution, she must skip work, the odd jobs she had picked up within the neighborhood.

“After a number of visits, my son requested me to not really feel bitter and to surrender on it. I nonetheless really feel there must be some decision. However there is no such thing as a helpline, no one to information me,” she says. Now, with a brand new window for e-KYC opening up, she has crammed it on-line and hopes to be enrolled as a beneficiary.

It’s comparable for Shakuntala Devi, 55, whose checking account was not linked to her Aadhaar quantity. Devi stays along with her husband, two daughters, and a grand-daughter. She misplaced her son final yr. Her husband is a taxi driver.

“Her account was shut down routinely,” says her 26-year-old daughter Nandini Gautam. “We do not know if it was as a result of it was inactive. We opened one other account and linked it along with her Aadhaar, however the document confirmed that the seeding was inactive. The financial institution instructed us to replenish a DBT kind. We did it. And but, she hasn’t obtained a single installment as but.”

Nandini was herself getting installments until December 2025, when she was requested to do the KYC once more. The server points and web site issues didn’t permit her to finish the KYC course of within the stipulated time, she says, including that she has now accomplished the method on the telephone after the brand new window opened up.

Pragati Nakti, 22, mom to a child, used to get her installments usually with none issues until June 2025. Then, they stopped. She would not know why. Nothing has modified, she says, including that the put up workplace the place her cash used to get deposited, cannot discover a cause both. She lives along with her brother, mother and father, and uncle, and is the one girl of the home who has crammed the shape.

Aside from filling the shape on-line on the portal, many ladies have additionally crammed up offline types through Anganwadi. servantsASHA staff, and gram sevaks. The truth is, just a few months in the past, the ASHA staff and Anganwadi servants refused to shoulder the additional burden of labor any extra.

Utilizing the funds

Ladies say the cash helps them spend on drugs, on kids’s meals and schooling, and on the each day wants of the household. “We do not have to ask our husbands for cash any extra. We get our personal cash. It feels good. However we have no idea for a way lengthy we are going to get it. There’s all the time a way that this can cease any minute,” says Shabnam Abdul Gaffar Shah, a 35-year outdated mom of 5, in Mumbai’s Indiranagar.

The scheme helped buffer the shock of floods in Maharashtra’s Marathwada in 2025. It has helped within the empowerment of ladies, giving a lift to the agricultural economic system, says Shinde.

He says they garnered this intelligence from the ladies. “We had fashioned a helpline to hunt responses of ladies who had been the early beneficiaries. It was astonishing, the affect the scheme had. Outlets began flourishing once more. Ladies had been seen to be spending totally on healthcare, on kids’s schooling, clothes,” he says.

Shinde says that whereas Madhya Pradesh’s Ladli Behna Yojana was their function mannequin, the federal government drew inspiration from the success of its personal scheme, Shasan Aplya Daari, which interprets to authorities at the doorstep. Below this scheme, the federal government approached folks with its schemes to extend the variety of beneficiaries.

“We realized after the evaluation of information that only a few girls had been drawing advantages from authorities schemes. That’s after we thought we wanted to do one thing to extend the protection of ladies,” he says. On the time, the Opposition had criticized the timing of the scheme, contemplating it got here simply earlier than the Maharashtra elections.

As a pilot, the Mukhyamantri Mahila Sashaktikaran Abhiyaan or Chief Minister’s Ladies Empowerment Drive was launched in two districts of Maharashtra. It was withdrawn nearly instantly as a consequence of technical points, however was reintroduced after the federal government order was modified on October 6, 2023.

“Impressed by its success, we launched the Nari Shaktidoot app. Inside someday, 50,000 girls registered on it. Once we noticed that ladies had been conscious and fascinated by schemes, we labored to roll out this scheme in only three months. After the announcement, 2.47 crore girls enrolled themselves. It was a document, and a really satisfying course of,” he stated.

He added that he had ready a listing of 10 names, and that the then Chief Minister Eknath Shinde had appreciated and chosen the present title ‘Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin Yojana’.